Tuesday, May 24, 2011

22 May 2011 - Garden Wall

When I built the girls' playhouse a few years back, I made a poor choice on the climbing wall.  I used wood that was not terribly suitable for outdoor applications, and tried to improvise with the handholds.  Since it started falling apart this spring, I decided to make it right this week.  The girls helped me replace the wood with some good treated material, and I bought some actual climbing holds which made the wall a lot better.
 

Ever since we moved into our current house, we've never been satisfied with the south side.  The grass kind of grew up against the house, but it was patchy and kind of weedy.  We've talked about doing something with it every year but this year we finally decided to do something about it.  We're making it into a small garden.  This photo shows the first part of the retaining wall I've started building to level the ground and contain the fill dirt for the garden.

We ordered eight yards of topsoil to fill the garden.  I hauled the first two yards (one at a time) with my truck, but its 20 year old leaf springs made me nervous, so we had the last six yards delivered and began filling the garden by hand.  I'm tired.

Next week, photos of the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment