Monday, May 2, 2011

1 May 2011 - Spring time

The weather this week was typical spring -- cold/sunny/warm/rainy/sunny/windy/cold/rainy/sunny.  Thus, you can understand why the girls were outside wearing jackets while not wearing shoes.  If you click this picture to expand it, you'll see that Jessica and Madeline are of the Blackfeet tribe.

The girls made some super awesome cupcakes with crushed Oreos on top.  Yum.

This week we had a pretty epic windstorm.  It wasn't anywhere near the tragedy and devastation of the areas hit by tornadoes and flooding in the Midwest and the South, but the wind was strong here nonetheless.  It pretty much shredded the side of our neighbor's house.  Ours is one of a very few in our neighborhood that has not suffered some wind damage over the course of the past several years.  The only thing I can attribute our good fortune to is paying tithing, although I realize that even that doesn't make one immune to the powers of nature.  Whatever the reason, we're grateful we haven't had such damage to our house, and hope our good fortunes continue.

When I went to campus Monday morning, I found that this parking lot light pole had blown over in the storm and smashed on the ground.  Fortunately this faculty/staff lot is rarely used for overnight parking, although I'm fairly certain the black car in this shot was parked there when the light came down, missing it by about five feet.

Because of our visit to Delaware last weekend, I went for more than a week without cutting my grass, and this time of year, I can't afford to do that.  On Friday it took me five hours to mow and rake the lawn.  I was very tired.  This week I've been attending motorcycle riding and safety school too.  I was supposed to do it with a friend from church, but he wasn't able to go.  Fortunately a different friend from church was also in the same class.  I'll go this coming week too and then be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment