Sunday, April 12, 2015

24 March 2015 - Cancun Part 2

On Tuesday, we drove about two hours inland to Chichen Itza, the largest and most well preserved ruins of the Mayan empire.


This is the Grand Pyramid at the center of the site.


Serpent carvings are very common throughout the grounds.  It was very hot and humid.  When I looked at this picture, I wondered if Madeline was hanging on her sisters for support.

In addition to snakes, skulls were carved in the stone.  I did my best impression.

This is the ball court where conquered enemies would play 'The Game of Life'.  They'd smack a ball back and forth soccer style, except they could only use their hips.  The losers were usually killed, while the winners got to be slaves.

This was the governor's observation tower for The Game of Life.

After a long hot day of looking at ruins, waiting for my lunch to be served was best accomplished in a hammock.

Fuel to recharge for the two hour drive with my amigos.

No comments:

Post a Comment