Wednesday, September 28, 2011

18 September 2011 - Service and Bonfire

This past week was pretty much regular old work without much excitement, until Saturday.  I should note that far, far away in Provo our nephew Brandon entered the MTC for his mission to Vietnamese-speaking San Jose, CA.  That was certainly exciting for our family, but we are so removed that unfortunately it wasn't as momentous for us.

Here on our home front, Saturday was a busy day of service.  From 9 AM until 2 PM, I had W&J's First Year Day of Service.  This is a day when all the freshmen get together to help and do service in our community.  Since I'm teaching a First Year Seminar this fall, I went with my freshmen on their assignment, which was to paint and otherwise help out at a countryside rest home near Washington.  I went inside at one point and found some of my students baking cookies and watching football with the elderly.  I said "Hey, this isn't service", but the lady inside said "Yes it is, this is exactly what our residents need."  So I quieted down.  Here are two of my students painting a patio trellis.

When I got home at about 2 PM, I grabbed a sandwich and headed down to South Franklin Township Park, which is about five miles south of town.  Our ward had selected this park as the place for our day of service in response to President Monson's call to give service to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the church welfare system.  We hold our annual Memorial Day picnic at this park, so by giving service here we also benefit.  Here are Jessica and Joanne working on one of a dozen park benches that we repaired.

Don't the benches look nice now?

Many in our ward spent the entire time pulling staples, tacks and even nails from the picnic tables and pavilion.  There were an average of 200-300 staples in each table, just from people attaching table cloths, birthday decorations and other types of streamers.

After the service project was over, we drove a couple miles down the road to Phil and Beth Conklin's farm where we had a bonfire complete with hot dogs, s'mores, and junk food!

Madeline and Jessica had hot chocolate, even though it really wasn't cold out.  The night was beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment