Sunday, September 11, 2011

11 September 2011 - Labor Day

Given the fact that it was the first week of classes at W&J, and the fact that it was Labor Day this week, I think it's a miracle I got one picture.  Our president thinks it's a fun idea for us to start classes each fall on Labor Day, which isn't so fun when you think about the fact that nobody else is working, and the kids are off school too.  Madeline went to Joanne's Yoga class with her, then came to my office and watched the seventh Harry Potter movie while I was teaching.  Since she's seen the movie several times and read the book, she entertained herself by drawing Dobby, Hedwig and Nagini on my white board.  I don't know what the rectangle and orange lines are.  Anyone?

After work, we did invite two families from the ward over for grilled burgers, dogs, and other good food.  It was a good evening for the holiday.  Tuesday was made crazy by the combination of the first day of Tuesday/Thursday classes and a funeral for an elderly gentleman in our ward who has been in a nursing home for about five years. I liked him a lot.  His name was Bill Fullgraf and he lived to be 88 years old.  He served for many years in the Merchant Marines, then had a long career in a steel mill.  When I used to go see him in the nursing home he would tell me stories about carrying supplies to the troops across the Atlantic during World War II.  If you know my penchant for history, you'll know I was never bothered by hearing his stories.  I got a colleague to cover my first day of class so I could do Bill's funeral.  I thought we did a very nice job for him.

The rest of the week has been rainy, unseasonably cold, and busy, busy, busy.  We hope you had a great Labor Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment