Monday, August 24, 2009

23 August 2009 - Jerry's House and Boating

This week I drove out to New Jersey to help Joanne's brother Jerry work on whipping his house into shape before moving from Maryland. He's going to be a Computer Science professor at Montclair State University. Here is a photo of one entrance and a campus building.
The house has been neglected for several years, so there's plenty to do. We painted a section of ceiling and mounted a new ceiling fan to help keep us cool.
This is a guest bedroom we were working on fixing up. It was almost ready by the time I had to leave on Thursday, thanks largely to Danae's dad who was also in town to help with the house.
A channel had been cut into the family room floor for a sewer pipe, so we had to put some cement in to smooth it out prior to carpet installation.
This picture made me laugh. Calista was being very quiet. I came upstairs and I thought she was in time out because she was sitting silently and looking at the corner of the room. Then I realized she was watching Blue's Clues.
We worked hard from Monday through Thursday, but then I had to get back home. I needed to check on Bill Shriver, who continues to mend despite his diagnosis, and I also needed to get ready for the youth boating activity we had planned for the ward youth group.The boat was provided by the Stouden family. Kari is in the Young Women's presidency, and though her husband is a non-member, he was very willing to show the kids a great time on the water. Here are a few of the young women catching air on the tube.We played some games and ate some good food while at the lake too. We went to Youghigheny (Yaw-ki-gay-nee) Lake. These are a few more of the youth who attended the activity.Among other things, I was the burger/hot dog chef.Here are some of our young men, Kevin Moorhouse, Sam Urban and Taylor Robinson. Kevin will leave to serve a full-time mission in Buenos Aires West, Argentina on September 23rd.So it was a tremendously busy week and I was sore (yes, I rode the tube) and tired by Sunday, but it was totally worth it. As I always tell Joanne -- you can sleep when you're dead. In the meanwhile, it's best to stay busy and have fun.

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment