Tuesday, December 8, 2009

6 December 2009 - Getting ready for Christmas

The Monday after Thanksgiving, the girls did not have school (who says Utah is the only state crazy enough to give the opening day of the deer hunt as a school holiday?!?). Joanne and I both had to teach, because we college folk are far too sophisticated to kill deer. Madeline was beside herself with anticipation for me to come home from work and get out the Christmas tree. Joanne kept the girls busy by working on other Christmas decorations around the house.

I got the tree off the shelf in the garage (that's right, we do fake at our house, but we do not judge those of you who mercilessly slaughter innocent and helpless live trees for your own entertainment ;-)


And once I set it up, the girls (and give Joanne lots of project management credit here), kicked in and did the rest.
Three years ago, I began working on finishing our basement. For about six months, I made incredible progress, finishing the home theater/storage/exercise area, and the bathroom. Then, two and a half years ago, I was called to be bishop of the Washington Ward. And...nothing else happened.
My Christmas gift to Joanne this year is to finish the kitchenette and walkout door area of the basement, which is essentially all that's left. I don't know if I'll make it by Christmas, but I got a good start on Saturday.
Anyone wanna help? Enjoy the season!

3 comments:

  1. That's probably the best gift I've heard of! Joanne is one lucky lady to have such a handy hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, you're such a liberal elite in your old age! Good luck finishing the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, as you may know artificial trees really aren't that much "greener" than well-harvested trees - as I'm told by my botanist wife. Anyway, maybe Danae and I will make it out there over the break and I can help you with your project. (I better consult with her first though.)

    ReplyDelete